Questo sito è dedicato alla rugbylist, un ritrovo "virtuale" dove si incontrano centinaia di appassionati di rugby.

[RUGBYLIST] Mallet al posto di BB, secondo gli inglesi

Luca Stornaiuolo oldrugby72 a yahoo.it
Lun 20 Ago 2007 12:29:56 CEST

  copio e incollo da planetrugby

  Mallett `seriously considering` Italian job
  Reacting to weekend reports that he will take over from Pierre Berbizier, Mallett confirmed that the Italian job is just one of several offers from Europe that's on his table.

Mallett, whose contract as Western Province director of rugby expires in November, told rugby365.com that he had "agreed in principle" to become the Italian national coach.

"I am seriously considering it," Mallett told this website.

He described the Italian position as not unlike working with the False Bay club (whom he coached in the mid 1990s) and Boland province (1996/97).

"I find the idea of coaching them [Italy] very attractive.

"In some ways it is very similar to the coaching jobs I did at False Bay and at Boland in the mid nineties. Both those teams were underdogs without many expectations and I think we managed to achieve something.

"It is something I enjoy doing - trying to improve the underdog team.

"Although Italy did have their best Six Nations this year, I know their rugby to a degree, having played in Rovigo myself.

"The other offers are from European clubs and they have different disadvantages.

"However, I still have to make a final decision," Mallett said.

The Italian job becomes vacant after the World Cup, when the Frenchman, Berbizier, steps down. It is expected that he will return to France to take over as head coach from Bernard Laporte.

Mallett coached the Springboks in 38 test, for a 71 per cent winning margin - which included 16 successive victories in 1997 and 1998.

His first task would be to ensure Italy can improve on their two-match winning record in this year's Six Nations.

Mallett follows in the shoes of other foreigners like John Kirwan, Brad Johnstone and Berbizier - who coached the Azzurri ahead of him.

The former Bok mentor has a huge standing in European rugby, where he coached Stade Français to two French championship titles.

Old rugbyman